Start your year off right as you root for the Dallas Stars or the Nashville Predators in the 12th annual Bridgestone NHL Winter Classic! The game will take place this year at the Cotton Bowl Stadium in Dallas, Texas on January 1, 2020.
Have friends you plan on watching the game with? Start a new tradition by hosting a hockey party that is dedicated to watching the game in its purest form!
But first, a few basics about the game itself.
What is the NHL Winter Classic 2020?
“Entrance” by Aaron Webb is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 2.0
The NHL Winter Classic is a timeless tradition that has become a favorite hockey game for fans across the country. This annual event is sponsored by the National Hockey League (NHL) and features a regular-season game that is played outdoors to honor the historic start of this beloved game.
Quick Facts About the 2020 NHL Winter Classic:
- Who: The Dallas Stars will play the Nashville Predators in the 2020 NHL Winter Classic. Interestingly, the game is going to be the first NHL regular-season outdoor game for both the Dallas Stars and the Nashville Predators.
- When: The 12th annual NHL Winter Classic is scheduled to take place on January 1, 2020.
- Where: This year’s game will take place at the historic Cotton Bowl Stadium located at Fair Park in Dallas, Texas.
- Are tickets on sale: Tickets went on sale in April 2019 and are now available for repurchase through various trusted third party sites. Additionally, NHL Winter Classic jerseys are also for sale.
“Cotton Bowl” by HooverStreetStudios is licensed under CC BY-NC 2.0
Whether you are attending the game in person, watching from home, or just hoping to catch the NHL Winter Classic performances, January 1 promises to be an exciting time for all professional hockey fans.
Great Hockey Party Ideas for the 2020 NHL Winter Classic
You know what’s coming, and you’re more excited than ever for this year’s Winter Classic. To really step up your game, host a hockey party with friends to celebrate the event, an upcoming birthday, or just a celebration for someone who loves the sport! Here are some ideas to throw the ultimate hockey bash.
A great hockey party starts with the invitation. A ticket-style invitation is a classic way to get your guests excited! Whether you choose a digital format or a printed ticket version, make sure that you include all of the vital party information. Too much information to include? Try designing your invitations as a giant foam finger. No matter the style, you want to ensure that your invitation sparks enthusiasm.
Nothing says “hockey party” like the right decorations and hockey-themed centerpieces. Try out these fun ideas for your party!
- Color coordinate balloons, tableware, streamers, and paper goods to match the teams’ colors
- Use a white tablecloth with red and blue tape to transform your buffet table into a hockey rink
- Add cardboard cutouts of hockey pucks to table centerpieces
- Hang hockey jerseys as wall decor
- Hockey sticks can be propped up over door archways to create a dramatic entrance
- Place life-sized cardboard cutouts of your favorite players in the corners of the room to create the perfect Instagram-ready photo area!
- Create life-size hole-in-head cardboard cutouts of team players and/or jerseys for photo areas
- Use other props or build a penalty box to create a truly memorable photo booth
“Pre-game ceremonies” by Ryan Buterbaugh is licensed under CC BY-NC 2.0
5 Easy Hockey Party Food Ideas
Amazing hockey party food comes in all shapes in sizes. From hockey-themed snacks to an NHL Winter Classic logo cake, the following ideas will become the talk of your party.
- Design a traditional concession stand menu that includes hot dogs, popcorn, and nachos with extra cheese
- Create hockey puck party favors by making chocolate cream-filled cookies that can be taken home in mini “gear bags”
- Turn pretzels on their head by designing pretzel hockey sticks
- Make your veggie platter into a hockey rink. Color coordinate your vegetables to match each team’s colors when possible – this year, green for the Dallas Stars and yellow for the Nashville Predators!
- Up the ante with an NHL Winter Classic logo cake. Alternatively, you could create a Nashville Predators logo or Dallas Stars logo cake.
Fun Games for your Hockey Themed Party
A hockey party should always have games. Here are a few ideas that your guests are sure to love.
- Build a mini hockey rink using life-size cardboard cutouts of the goalies. The goalies can be placed in front of the net to make the game more realistic, while simultaneously making your guests feel as if they are playing against the pros.
- Kick it old school with an air hockey table that is fun for all ages
- Put a twist on traditional corn hole by using hockey puck cutouts as the bean-bags
- Some classic hockey trivia is always a win for dedicated fans!
Hockey Themed Party Supplies
“Matt Halischuk” by cerebusfangirl is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 2.0
In addition to your invitations, balloons, and streamers, there is one classic hockey-themed party supply that should never be forgotten: life-size head-in-hole cardboard cutouts of teams, players, and jerseys. They’re the perfect addition to your party decor.
Your guests will laugh as they make funny faces and take photos with their favorite players! You can also create a crowd of head-in-hole and big-head cardboard cutouts.
Celebrate Hockey with Cardboard Cutout Standees
Are you ready to start the year off right with an NHL Winter Classic party? Whether you want to create the perfect photo opportunity with a head-in-hole cardboard cutout, or play a vibrant game of floor hockey with life-size cardboard cutouts of goalies, the entire Cardboard Cutout Standees team is here to help make your hockey themed party a success!